Monday, August 18, 2008

Sentosa Island

My appetite is back, full throttle. I am starting to feel like I have a distended stomach after meals, similar to what I feel like in America after I eat. I think I need to slow down. I had the best Indian prata last night and the day before I ate at a German Restaurant and shared a sausage platter - which is essentially extremely delicious hot dogs. The oil and fat seeped out of the meat as I cut into it and I envisioned my arteries slowly clogging. But I think it was worth it, cause it was one if the rare times since I've been in Singapore that I felt really satisfied. I also ate a delicious indian curry puff today, that they sell in hawker stands/food courts. For less than a $1 USD, this little piece of heaven is hot and flavorful, I wish people at home could try it.

So Saturday was spent eating German sausages and going to Sentosa for a NUS welcome party with free drinks and dinner buffet "bbq" (well, what Singaporeans consider BBQ, which I think was just meat on a skewer posing as BBQ.)
Sentosa was pretty, humid, and extremely artificial. I know the island is real with a history. But the beaches themselves are reclaimed with sand brought in from Indonesia and Malaysia. It was nice though. So different from Florida's beaches. The water was polluted and the view was of the harbour, filled with cargo ships, police boats, and private boats and yachts. After the sun set, it was a very pretty glitter lining the sea, and I think it's what I saw when I first arrived late in the evening by plane into Singapore.

And even though the beach was filled with people, hardly anyone was in their bathing suits. Instead, many were fully clothed in denim and long sleeved shirts. It was sort of awkward and made me shy as well. Again, it's in stark contrast to the college town I come from and the showing off of skin that all the UF girls I know love to do. It's yet another remindar that even though I'm hanging out with Americans/Europeans most of the time, that I am in SE Asia.